Family Law

Before law school, while James Horwitz was in college and later in graduate school, he was a leader in the field for many years developing half-way houses for runaway and throwaway kids in the greater Houston and Texas area. This 1970s phenomenon of helping youth in distress mushroomed throughout the United States resulting in his participation in Washington, D.C. assisting in the creation of national legislation that developed the National Runaway Youth Hotline as well as funding for community centers throughout the United States.

After law school and the development of his law firm, James Horwitz, P.C. was general counsel to several organizations servicing the needs of families in distress in the Houston, Texas area. James S. Horwitz, P.C. provides guidance and sound advice throughout both the marriage relationship and if necessary the divorce process. If you have questions about child support, child custody and visitation, spousal support, property division, or any other family law issue, James S. Horwitz, P.C. is ready to answer them.

There are many options for you to consider during your marriage, your divorce or other family law dispute.

  • Pre Nuptial Agreement
  • Post Nuptial Agreement
  • Who will have custody of the children?
    • How much child support will you or the other parent pay?
    • How will your community property be divided?
  • How do you change child support amount, custody, and/or visitation 
Are you seeking a Divorce?

If you are here to seek counsel in filing for divorce, we want to help make it as simple as possible, and keep your stress factor low.

COMPLETE THIS CONFIDENTIAL interview form, and then call us to book your appointment.

When you want compassionate legal guidance for making decisions during your divorce or other family law issue, contact James S. Horwitz, P.C. which is well-versed in Texas family law involving:

  • Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
  • Contested and uncontested divorce
  • Division of community property
  • Spousal support/alimony
  • Post-judgment modifications
  • Common law/informal marriage
  • Parents’ and grandparents’ rights
  • Child custody and support issues
  • Family Law and Children

Because of his extensive work with children before law school (bachelor’s degree in psychology, graduate work in the same field, and work experience with thousands of families) as well as over thirty-three years of law practice, when you find yourself involved in a family law issue, James S. Horwitz, P.C. takes the time to understand what is in both your children and your best interests including but not limited to:

Child custody:

Helping parents determine who will have physical custody (who the child lives with) and legal custody (who makes major decisions for the child), and whether one parent will have sole custody or the parents will share joint custody.


Helping parents form visitation and parenting plans. The parent who does not have physical custody over the child is entitled to visitation time unless there is substantial evidence that it could be harmful to the child.

Child support:

We provide support to parents establishing child support, enforcing child support, and bringing motions to modify child support both for more or less money as the circumstances dictate.

Change of location:

When the custodial parent (the parent with primary custody) wants to move a long distance with the child, he or she must get permission from the court.

James S. Horwitz, P.C. understands that each family law situation is unique with its own set of facts. James S. Horwitz, P.C. is skilled in drafting specialized solutions geared to your family’s own individual circumstances.

In Texas, many courts require that family law issues can be handled outside of family court in alternative dispute resolution settings such as divorce mediation, arbitration, and through the collaborative law process before a trial can occur. In this way you get to be a participant in crafting a solution to the issues rather than having a judge or jury making the decisions for you.

James S. Horwitz, P.C. does this type of work on a regular basis for its clients. However, if you and your spouse cannot agree and court is the only option, we are ready to litigate fully and vigorously on your behalf.